See bold text below:
(1) A health carrier offering a managed care plan shall provide or pay for emergency services screening and emergency services and may not require prior authorization for either of those services. If an emergency services screening determines that emergency services or emergency services of a particular type are unnecessary for a covered person, emergency services or emergency services of the type determined unnecessary by the screening need not be covered by the health carrier unless otherwise covered under the health benefit plan. However, if screening determines that emergency services or emergency services of a particular type are necessary, those services must be covered by the health carrier. A health carrier shall cover emergency services if the health carrier, acting through a participating provider or other authorized representative, has authorized the provision of emergency services.
(2) A health carrier shall provide or pay for emergency services obtained from a nonnetwork provider within the service area of a managed care plan and may not require prior authorization of those services if use of a participating provider would result in a delay that would worsen the medical condition of the covered person or if a provision of federal, state, or local law requires the use of a specific provider.
(3) If a participating provider or other authorized representative of a health carrier authorizes emergency services, the health carrier may not subsequently retract its authorization after the emergency services have been provided or reduce payment for an item or health care services furnished in reliance on approval unless the approval was based on a material misrepresentation about the covered person’s medical condition made by the provider of emergency services.
(4) Coverage of emergency services is subject to applicable coinsurance, copayments, and deductibles.
(5) For postevaluation or poststabilization services required immediately after receipt of emergency services, a health carrier shall provide access to an authorized representative 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to facilitate review.