Sec. 12. (a) A utilization review agent shall make available to an enrollee, and to a provider of record upon request, at the time an adverse utilization review determination is made:
(1) a written description of the appeals procedure by which an enrollee or a provider of record may appeal the utilization review determination by the utilization review agent; and
(2) in the case of an enrollee covered under an accident and sickness policy or a health maintenance organization contract described in subsection (d), notice that the enrollee has the right to appeal the utilization review determination under IC 27-8-28 or IC 27-13-10 and the toll free telephone number that the enrollee may call to request a review of the determination or obtain further information about the right to appeal.
(b) The appeals procedure provided by a utilization review agent must meet the following requirements:
(1) On appeal, the determination not to certify an admission, a service, or a procedure as necessary or appropriate must be made by a health care provider licensed in the same discipline as the provider of record.
(2) The determination of the appeal of a utilization review determination not to certify an admission, service, or procedure must be completed within thirty (30) days after:
(A) the appeal is filed; and
(B) all information necessary to complete the appeal is received.
(c) A utilization review agent shall provide an expedited appeals process for emergency or life threatening situations. The determination of an expedited appeal under the process required by this subsection shall be made by a physician and completed within forty-eight (48) hours after:
(1) the appeal is initiated; and
(2) all information necessary to complete the appeal is received by the utilization review agent.
(d) If an enrollee is covered under an accident and sickness insurance policy (as defined in IC 27-8-28-1) or a contract issued by a health maintenance organization (as defined in IC 27-13-1-19), the enrollee’s exclusive right to appeal a utilization review determination is provided under IC 27-8-28 or IC 27-13-10, respectively.
(e) A utilization review agent shall make available upon request a written description of the appeals procedure that an enrollee or provider of record may use to obtain a review of a utilization review determination by the utilization review agent.