See bold text below:
(1) A health carrier shall establish written procedures for the expedited review of a grievance involving a situation in which the timeframe of the standard grievance procedures set forth in sections 44-7308 to 44-7310 would seriously jeopardize the life or health of a covered person or would jeopardize the covered person’s ability to regain maximum function. A request for an expedited review may be submitted orally or in writing. A request for an expedited review of an adverse determination may be submitted orally or in writing and shall be subject to the review procedures of this section, if it meets the criteria of this section. However, for purposes of the grievance register requirements of section 44-7306, a request for an expedited review shall not be included in the grievance register unless the request is submitted in writing. Expedited review procedures shall be available to a covered person and to the provider acting on behalf of a covered person. For purposes of this section, covered person includes the representative of a covered person.
(2) Expedited reviews which result in an adverse determination shall be evaluated by an appropriate clinical peer or peers in the same or similar specialty as would typically manage the case being reviewed. The clinical peer or peers shall not have been involved in the initial adverse determination.
(3) A health carrier shall provide expedited review to all requests concerning an admission, availability of care, continued stay, or health care service for a covered person who has received emergency services but has not been discharged from a facility.
(4) An expedited review may be initiated by a covered person or a provider acting on behalf of a covered person.
(5) In an expedited review, all necessary information, including the health carrier’s decision, shall be transmitted between the health carrier and the covered person or the provider acting on behalf of a covered person by telephone, facsimile, or the most expeditious method available.
(6) In an expedited review, a health carrier shall make a decision and notify the covered person or the provider acting on behalf of the covered person as expeditiously as the covered person’s medical condition requires, but in no event more than seventy-two hours after the review is commenced. If the expedited review is a concurrent review determination, the health care service shall be continued without liability to the covered person until the covered person has been notified of the determination.
(7) A health carrier shall provide written confirmation of its decision concerning an expedited review within two working days after providing notification of that decision, if the initial notification was not in writing. The written decision shall contain the provisions required in subsection (3) of section 44-7308.
(8) A health carrier shall provide reasonable access, not to exceed one business day after receiving a request for an expedited review, to a clinical peer who can perform the expedited review.
(9) In any case in which the expedited review process does not resolve a difference of opinion between the health carrier and the covered person or the provider acting on behalf of the covered person, the covered person or the provider acting on behalf of the covered person may submit a written grievance, unless the provider is prohibited from filing a grievance by federal or other state law. Except as expressly provided in this section, in conducting the review, the health carrier shall adhere to timeframes that are reasonable under the circumstances.
(10) A health carrier shall not be required to provide an expedited review for retrospective adverse determinations.